Design Research Conferences have been running since 1971. The current series includes the biennial international conferences, ISSN 2398-3132 (established in 2014), which follows a rigorous blind review process for submissions, resulting in a high quality collection of papers in the discipline of design research.
Browse the contents of DRS Conference Papers:
- DRS2020 - Synergy
- The overall theme for DRS2020 is Synergy – the coming together of people and disciplines in design research to create a positive impact. On the one hand, design research champions the uniqueness of disciplinary knowledge and creativity, yet on the other hand, the complex world we now live in demands a more synergistic approach to creativity and problem solving whereby different mindsets, backgrounds and perspectives come together to realise transformative visions of the future.
- DRS2019 - Learn X Design
- The Learn X Design is a conference series by DRS Special Interest Group in Design Pedagogy (PedSIG). The 2019 event was hosted by Middle East Technical University (METU) Department of Industrial Design between 9-12 July 2019.
- DRS2018 - Catalyst
- A catalyst is something that precipitates events; it is the coming together of different entities to generate something new; it is the spark for wider change. Framed by the Catalyst theme, these proceedings explore existing and emergent areas at the intersections of design research, practice, education and policy.
- DRS2016 - Future Focused Thinking
- The underlying premise of DRS2016 was that 50 years of design research has provided us with a sound understanding of design and a solid foundation upon which to build. The interesting questions, then, appeared to us as not so much how we do more of the same – though that of course has its place – but in how we use what we now know.
- DRS2014 - Design's Big Debates
- The main purpose of the DRS 2014 conference is to foster and support a shared design discourse. By focusing on key big issues in design, the conference seeks to create a forum where the questions that have the potential to change the way we think and do design - its philosophy, theory, practise, methodology, education, profession and history - will be discussed and debated.
- DRS2012 - Research: Uncertainty Contradiction Value
- The proceedings of the 2012 Design Research Society International Conference hosted by Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. Submissions covered extensive themes and emerging research that is broad in scope and depth, submitted with the conference theme of Re-Search: uncertainty, contradiction and value, in mind.
- DRS2010 - Design and Complexity
- Open to the whole range of design disciplines and contemporary inquiries in design. The theme of Design & Complexity should be understood as a springboard for sharing ideas and concepts about contemporary design research.
- DRS2008 - Undisciplined!
- Undisciplined! was the fourth biennial conference of the Design Research Society and an important opportunity to take stock and to attend to the new kinds of designing that are emerging to challenge our framework of specialisms and reshape our field. However this is the main conference for Design Research Society and as such was open to all research that informs or arises from designing.
- DRS2004 - Futureground
- The conference aimed to debate directions emerging from design research around the world, covering such topics as education, process/methods, interaction, practice/management, sustainability, culture philosophy and theory among many others.